Today, November 30th, marks National Computer Security Day, drawing attention to cyber security and its pivotal role in protecting our data stored in computing and mobile devices.
Here, we break down some of the top tips from Microsoft to keep your computer secure at home and work:
- Use a firewall: Firewalls protect against outside cyber attackers by shielding your computer or network from malicious or unnecessary network traffic. Firewalls can also prevent malicious software from accessing a computer or network via the internet. Windows has a firewall already built in and is automatically turned on.
- Keep all software up to date: Make sure to turn on automatic updates in Window Update to keep Windows, Microsoft Office, and other Microsoft applications up to date. Turn on automatic updates for non-Microsoft software as well, especially browsers, Adobe Acrobat Reader, and other applications you regularly use
- Use antivirus and keep it current: If you run Windows, you have Windows Security or Windows Defender Security Center already installed on your device
- Ensure your passwords are well-chosen and protected: Password security starts with creating a strong password. Tips include:
- Using at least 12 characters long (14 is better!)
- A combination of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols
- Easy for you to remember but difficult for others to guess
- Don’t open suspicious attachments or click unusual links in messages: They can appear in emails, tweets, posts, online ads, messages, or attachments and sometimes disguise themselves as known and trusted sources
- Browse the web safely: Avoid visiting sites that offer potentially illicit content. Many of these sites install malware on the fly or offer downloads that contain malware
- Stay away from pirated material: Avoid streaming or downloading movies, music, books, or applications that do not come from trusted sources. They may contain malware!
- Don’t use USBs or any other external devices unless you own them: To avoid infection by malware and viruses, ensure that all external devices either belong to you or come from a reliable source
As part of the CyFlare ONE Complete offering, our Managed Endpoint Services include proactive threat hunting, 24x7x365 incident monitoring, and intelligent triage powered by extensive playbooks and AI learning. To sign up for your 30-day risk-free guarantee, visit www.cyflare.com/one-services.